Below are answers to the most frequently asked questions that city hall staff field from residents. If you have a question that is not addressed here, you may call City Hall weekdays during regular business hours to be directed to someone able to assist you. 44-949-7141.

When is garbage and bulk pick up?

Every Friday.

When do I need a permit for work on my home?

Examples of work requiring a permit includes, roof and gutter installation and replacement; basement waterproofing; sewer and water line replacement; concrete or asphalt work; water heater installation; electrical wiring; sidewalk repair or replacement; swimming pools, uncovered decks or patios. Please call the Building Department for help with this process during regular business hours M-F 9 a.m.-3 p.m. 440-949-5767.

My water bill seems high. Whom do I call to discuss it?

Contact the city Water Department 440-949-6259 during regular business hours M-F 8 a.m-4:30 p.m.

A tree has fallen on my property. Who is responsible for removal?

The homeowner is responsible. The city responds only when a tree is blocking a public roadway. Any time a tree is leaning on electric lines, immediately call the power company for assistance. If the tree has fallen on other utility lines (cable/phone) contact the appropriate utility to respond.

How do I get branches chipped?

Branches are picked up by request by contacting the city at 440-949-6259 during regular business hours M-F 8 a.m.- 4:30 p.m.

How do I obtain a garage sale permit?

To obtain a permit you can either come in or call City Hall at 440-949-7141 and one of the clerks will give you a permit number. If you post any signs, the number needs to be written on the back of the sign.

My neighbor’s grass is long or exterior is unkept, who should I call about this?

Our Building Inspector is also in charge of property maintenance. The phone number is 440-949-5767 during regular business hours Monday-Friday.

Whom do I call about raccoons, opossums, rodents etc?

We typically recommend calling Lorain County Metro Parks as they retain a current list of trappers – 440-458-5121. If the animal is visibly sick, our police department can assist. Their non-emergency number is 440-949-7131.

How do I get permission to park on the street?

Special parking permission can be given by City Hall for reasons like driveway being poured, out of town guests, holidays, funerals, etc.

Does the city offer senior citizen services?

The Lorain County Office on Aging provides services to qualfying individuals. Call 440-326-4800 or visit their website for details:

Anyone over 50 is invited to participate in Monday Morning Coffee at Hanks Community Center. Programs run 9:30-11 a.m. weekly and vary widely from speakers on relevant topics, to special meals for various hoidays, musical entertainment and occasional field trips. Contact City Council member Rosa Gee for details: 440-949-4883.

How do we rent the Hanks Community Center?

To rent the Hanks Community Center, please call 440-949-5157.

Do I have to reserve a pavilion at a city park?

You do not need to reserve a pavilion at the park, but they are on a first come first serve basis.

My pipes are frozen. Can the city help?

If there is no running water in the house, the city Water Department will use equipment to thaw the line at the outdoor meter in an effort to restore water in the home. However, if one faucet or fixture is frozen, the homeowner will need to contact a plumber. Contact the water department at 440-949-6259 during regular business hours M-F 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. or the police department non emergency line at 440-949-7131 evenings and weekends.

When is Trick or Treat?

October 31, 6-7:30 p.m.

When are Community Days?

This annual event is held in the summer, usually in July. For 2023, Community Days are scheduled for July 20-23. Please watch the city website for details about this event as well as volunteer and sponsorship opportunities.

Does the Mayor perform marriages?

He does not. We recommend calling the Judges at Lorain Municipal Court at 440-204-2150 and 440-204-2159.