Sheffield Lake Fire Department wants all residents and their families to stay safe, especially during the holidays. Following are tips from the U.S. Fire Administration:
1) Only use decorations that are flame retardant or not flammable.
2) Check holiday lights each year for frayed wires, broken bulbs or excessive wear.
3) Don’t link more than three strands of holiday lights.
4) Never leave a burning candle unattended. Consider using battery operated flameless candles.
5) Keep your live Christmas tree away from heat sources and room exits. Make sure your tree is at least three feet away from fireplaces, radiators and space heaters.
6) Water your live Christmas tree daily to keep it from drying out.